I always thought it was ironic that--more often than not--people invited to speak in singles wards found marriage such a novel topic--as if it had never been addressed before. Even more ironic was these people who give advice most readily all got married before they were born and never experienced what it was like to date beyond the age of 20--let alone 25+ within the LDS faith. Marriage talks always had a little routine script to them. First, we must be identified as being single--as if no on in the congregation knew or this was a status easily forgotten. Once status has been established, we discussed how to change our status . . . . by playing the "dating game" and tips on how we can make that final touch down. I have heard just about everything in relation to securing a mate, from "take the initiative" and ask him out to "stop being so picky" and marry the first person who asks . . . . but nothing like this Sunday.
This particular marriage talk started out pretty standard. Reminders of our singleness and calls to turn towards marital bliss. But then, a living example. . . . a testimonial of a woman who took her single life into her own hands. There was a young man in the ward she wanted to marry but she was unsure how to secure his affection. After much study she decided to touch his arm just so. Unsure if this method would really work, she tested her theory on a male subject she was not as interested in who subsequently asked her out. Sure she had found power over the male gender, she politely declined and raced towards the man of her dreams. She reached out her hand, held her breath, and touched his upper arm. They are happily married to this day.
I couldn't believe it. She had done it. Cracked the code. Broken through the male mind and found the "marriage button." I scanned the congregation of fellow professionals. Lawyers, educators, financial analysts, speech pathologists...it was clear none of us, though well educated, had heard of this marriage button before. It was soo simple. Any fool could get married. Why had I not figured this out before? My friends and I had tried everything else. Dating. Building relationships. Flirting. Conversations about common interests. Making out. All this time and all we had to do was touch his upper arm??!??!!?
As soon as sacrament meeting was over, I Oprah-power-walked to the social hall to grab first dibs on one of the males seated in the congregation. I scanned the crowd. With a ratio of 5 women to 1 man, and every girl with this new knowledge, I had to act fast. Finally, I saw someone. Blonde hair, brown eyes--and an inch or two shorter than me. What was his name? What did he do? Did he like children? I stopped. Now was no time for these silly questions. Slowly, I reached out my hand, placed it in between his right shoulder and elbow and squeezed for a count of "one Mississippi". I felt his arm tense as he flexed his muscles to impress me with the results of his avid weightlifting. Yes. I had found it. The marriage button. This would be a good match. We will be married on the 4th on Boston's kissing bridge with fireworks in the background.
If only I had known the simplicity of this secret sooner, I would have saved myself years of heartache--including--my study abroad to London, getting a Masters degree, buying a condo, humanitarian work in Kenya, trips to various places around the world, swimming with wild dolphins..........having to jump out of that blasted plane...*sigh*.
In efforts so that every young woman can get married as soon as possible without having to experience other aspects of life, I have decided to leave my field as a speech pathologist and start a "Marriage Button Training Center." There, my future husband and I will offer courses to help other women secure a mate. We have already looked into getting dummies with sensors on their arms. They will be useful so that women coming to our program can perfect the pressure of the arm touch and length of the squeeze. We will also engage in research activities to perfect finding and pushing the marriage button. For example, length of time to hold the arm and the amount of pressure applied varies from one male to another. There are also issues of eye contact that have been yet to be addressed. Until then, I look forward to seeing you all at my reception.
P.S. Don't think of trying to steal my idea about the sensor dummies. What's his name and I have the copyright in the works.
Sunday, June 29, 2008
The Marriage Button
Posted by Amy at 12:05 PM
Labels: Adventures in Boston
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Heather's Tribute
| Broadcast your video at TypeNot.com |
14 comments:
Sign me up! And congratulations to you and what's his name. I'm so excited for you, I knew going to Boston would be a good experience for you.
I know, right? I'm so sad that I've been living in the dark for so long, wasting away my life. Who knew gettin' hitched was so easy?
Amen, one hundred thousand million times! Yes, yes, yes. I love you Amy! You said it.
Jen Williams
LP1 - Boston
ha ha. i actually heard about that at Snow ages ago, but sorry, it doesn't ALWAYS work. don't get your hopes too high, although i'm glad that it worked for you. :)
Very enjoyable story, hope it works!
oh, you realize that was how i found troy. it was at the institute and i noticed that he used a palm pilot, which automatically marked him as a candidate with a high earning/future bishop potential. i totally raced another girl who has seen him at the same moment. we both bolted across the rec area, but i took her down with my fully loaded backpack hitting her squarely in the gut. by the time she had her wind back, his button was pushed and he was fully imprinted on me. we were married two weeks later (we had to delay a bit so i could get the cake of my dreams- already had the dress, of course, because owning your wedding dress is the FIRST STEP in positive thought to make you that wonderful marry-able super chick!)
Wow! I am just about to cry (while fanning my tears away!) I will fly down as quick as possible and don't you start this wedding without me with whats his name. You can't marry on the fourth! We have colors to pick out, food to choose, people to invite, arguments to have over cakes and pictures........wah wah wah wah wah!!! That was the funniest article I have ever read! I love you Amy. See you on the 5th. Hope you have lots of fireworks. Love, Mom
uuuh... yeah, and we're now so attached at the hip that i post under his name to prove my devotion?? (do you buy it?) :P (this is hilary)
Okay, Amy, You are totally hilarious!!! I was laughing so hard reading that post. I have no idea if you remember me... Megan Paddock Cannon from Alpha. So fun to see pics of you! I'm jealous that you and Joy and Charlotte have all kept in touch so well. Glad to see you all having good times together. I'm glad I found your blog through the blogger grapevine!!
Sorry, blogger was running a little slow and I kept hitting the publish button (thinking that it wasn't going through). I had to delete my multiple posts. Guess I oughta work on my patience. Shows what having 3 boys will do to you! :)
Amy, it's Jen Williams in Boston. You wanted the link to my blog: jennyfaith.blogspot.com. My blog about that Sunday is no where near as great as yours! Hope you move to Boston soon!
Post a Comment