CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ogunquit Maine

I went to both Maine and New Hampshire last night. Three states in one day....not an easy feat out west. A group of friends and I had a picnic on a beach in Maine, then stopped at Hampton Beach in New Hampshire on our way home for fireworks and sand sculpture display. I had a blast! (Despite minor glitches of missing wallets and a woman scamming us to pay for parking in free public parking zones).

First was Ogunquit for a charming picnic on the beach. Although it was the second day of summer, it was pretty cool out. The beach was covered with a fine mist that gave it somewhat of a lochness monsterish kind of feel. It was at this point I discovered "summer in New England is not so much a season as it is a state of mind." Highlights of the trip included: putting my finger into the Atlantic Ocean, fending off seagulls who wanted to eat our food, and seeing local elementary school boys fish for bass but catch nothing but crabs.



The sculptures we saw were incredible. My favorite was one of a woman taking a bubble bath in one of those old fashioned tubes with circular bar to hang the shower curtain. It was amazing the detail in the curtain and the water spilling onto the floor. Charlotte snagged this picture of the sculpture that took first place. (My camera, tragically, is no longer with us....so I have to rely on photos from others for my blog.)


After fireworks and looking at the sand sculptures, we devoured some ice-cream and fried dough. As we were walking back to the car, Tara noticed the moon rising over the ocean. As I looked beyond the beach, I saw the moon creeping above the horizon colored by the deepest shade of red I had ever seen. It was amazing to watch it rise and the colors transform as it climbed above the haze the fireworks had left behind.
We got home pretty late last night. In order to stay awake, Charlotte and I put in the soundtrack to Wicked and sang at the top of our lungs the whole ninety mintue ride home.

2 comments:

Janene said...

Amy!!!! I just found your blog today - woohoo!!! I have recently started an Alpha blog which is by invitation only. If you are interested, send me your email address to janenelarsen@yahoo.com

Andrea J. Bacigalupo said...

Creepy! At first I thought the crab was a spider... after a closer inspection I was even more creeped out! Hah! Love your blog, keep it goin'!

Heather's Tribute

Broadcast your video at TypeNot.com